Monday, August 18, 2008

Just a grillin'

I just had to get a break from the recent heat so we headed to Ocean Shores, Wa for a day on the beach. It was freezing. Okay maybe not freezing, but I could see steam coming out of my mouth when I breathed. It was a nice change from the mid nineties which we are not used to here.

To try something different to BBQ I marinated some chicken tenders and put some kabob sticks through them. Quick and easy.

I like to marinade my meat at least 24 hours before cooking. I find the flavor gets through the meat nicely this way. This is super simple basic recipe, but just in case you have never made your teriyaki marinade before here is how I do mine:

Combine brown sugar, soy a sauce (I prefer Bragg), white wine, freshly grated ginger root, and 2-4 garlic cloves run through the garlic press (you can finely chop if you do not have a press). Mix all ingredients together. Now for the scary part, stick your finger in (make sure you haven not added your meat yet) and see if you like the taste or if it needs more brown sugar. Nine times out of ten I need more sugar. When you are satisfied add your meat and cook the day or so later.

Now if you are one that REALLY needs the measurements here you go:

1/4 C white wine
1/2 C soy a sauce
1C brown sugar
1 tbsp grated ginger root (peel first)
2 lg garlic cloves

3 comments:

Lily said...

Thanks for the recipe. Ilove marinated meats.

Linda said...

Great idea for the kabob sticks! Thanks for the recipe...we'll have to try that this weekend.

dg said...

I'll have to try this. The combo sounds good. Love the "dip your finger" taste test part!